Musicians on Twitter, This Is Not Marketing. This Is Spam.

Twitter SpamMy number one bitch about Twitter, users who have no concept of what is uninvited communication, what is spam.

Would you walk up to someone on the street that you have never met, that is talking to someone else and say, “Put these headphones on and listen to my music and then can you please tell all your friends about my music?” Seriously, would you do that? I think the answer is no, since I don’t see that happening.

That is exactly what you are doing when you send me a Tweet that says, “@michaelsb SlickkDaStoner-Waves(Freestyle) Listen & RT please (url removed).” I don’t follow you, we have never met, we have never talked. You sent that Tweet in reply to a post (a conversation) that your Tweet has nothing to do with. Do you really think I would just stop and click the link? Do you know what kind of music I like?

In the case of Twitter, every single account that sends me Tweets like that gets reported as a spammer, because that is what you are doing. You are spamming me with a uninvited communication.

You will NOT become a rock star doing this.

You will NOT sell your music doing this.

You will NOT get fans doing this.

You will NOT succeed doing this.

Stop with this s@#t now! This is not marketing. This is spam.

16 Responses to “Musicians on Twitter, This Is Not Marketing. This Is Spam.”

1. Peter Vassallo
    August 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

This this SO MUCH THIS! :)

2. Atlum Schema
    August 30, 2012 at 1:35 am #

YES! It depresses me so much when I receive those spams. At least it is easier to stamp out and ignore than the old Myspace thing. I just don’t get what makes people think it would be a good idea. Great venting Michael!

• Michael Brandvold
      August 30, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I think it is a combination of not knowing any better and wanting a fast solution to success.

3. Elliott James Clarke
    August 30, 2012 at 7:08 am #

I don’t think the people doing this read your blog.

If they did, they’d hopefully know better.

4. Sandra Marcy
    August 31, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Can I share a lovely example of this with you? One morning recently I wrote a tweet saying that I was a little nervous as I was on my way to my very first public-speaking gig to talk about music marketing in the UK’s jazz market. In under a minute a musician following me (who had never said hello to me) replied, practically demanding I listen to their music. Did they even read that I was about to go on stage and deliver a talk? Probably not. And if they did – didn’t they stop to think I might be a bit pre-occupied? Needless to say that lovely little example made it into my talk that day!

By contrast, yesterday afternoon a musician made me laugh out loud with something he tweeted to all his followers. Because it’s only polite, I listened to his music while I tweeted him to say how much I’d liked his tweet. And guess what? I absolutely loved his music and went to find more …

Thanks, as ever, Michael for a great read!

5. Chris Burke
    September 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

I report the spammers to.. Glad to hear I’m not the only one!

6. Michelle Galas
    September 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Yes Very True, Marketing is about ** Market** a Market is a group of people who love and buy the same things in this case listen to the same music.
    If you do not know your market how can you target the right people who will be your future clients (who will purchase your music) Tweets is like a bird who spread bread in a grass and people must look for the the pieces of bread but if you spread the bread (the music) in the right place at the right time you are sure the bread will be eaten.

Tweets must be a conversation with people, when an artists tweet about something that must interest people and alert people for example Lady Gaga Tweets .

Tweet about your music must be done with a music marketing Strategy to attract the ”right Target” to attract their attention and follow what you do as an Artist and about your music and who you are but as Michael Brandvold mentions here that will not make you sell, have fans if you do not do it with a specific purpose and plan .

To Groov’Tweet You must Groov’Plan

7. johnny beane
    September 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I figure tweets like that are just spammers and not really musicians.

Anytime i get a tweet/facebook message/wall post like this i just delete it.
    It’s rude and is NEVER music i like or would ever listen to.

It’s messages like this that are one of the many things that turned me off from Myspace.

Anyone who does this SHAME ON YOU!!

8. Dom Italiano
    October 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Good tip!

9. Boo
    December 17, 2012 at 3:30 am #

Wall depends on what u expect from that. Doing clever spam can help u a lot. http://twitter.com/jerry_main

10. SP Morgan
    November 15, 2013 at 5:14 am #

Tweets like that are from musicians who want a fast return on their minimal time investment. Most are not willing to do the research and expect “something for nothing” which we all know gets you nowhere in the music industry.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Musicians on Twitter, This Is Not Marketing. This Is Spam. | Simply Boundless Entertainment - August 30, 2012

[...] up to someone on the street that you have never met, that is talking to someone else and … Continue reading → No related [...]

2. Do You Know Who You Are Talking To When You Send a Message? | Michael Brandvold Marketing - Music Marketing - September 13, 2012

[...] Do You Know Who You Are Talking To When You Send a Message? Posted on September 13, 2012 by Michael Brandvold Do you know who you are talking to when you send someone a personal message… email, Facebook or Twitter? Is the person a music fan? Do they like your genre of music? Are they a musician? Or are you just creating one message and sending it out to everyone? This is a continuation of the spam problem I discussed a couple weeks ago. [...]

3. 7 Tips For Spam-Free Music Marketing On Twitter | Planet 6 String - September 18, 2012

[...] Brandvold recently shared his annoyance at tweeters who jump in on conversations with off-topic requests to check out their [...]