Don’t Wait For New Fans To Find You, Seek Them Out

Find your fansFacebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, Google+, SoundCloud, ReverbNation… the list goes on and on and on. I am sure many of you have profiles on all if not many of these sites. But what are you doing on those sites? Just having a presence on a site does not mean fans find you. Build it and they will come does not exist. Outside of known name artists fans are not going to spend much time searching out bands they have never heard of. This means it is your job to find your next fan and introduce yourself to them. The difference in the number of fans you could have on one of these sites can be dramatically different between bands that seek out fans and bands that just wait for the fans to find them. A calculated plan to search for fans can increase fans over seven fold in less than two weeks, I have seen these results. This can mean the difference of having 150 fans or having more than 1000 fans.

It is your job to find your next fan.

Search is one of your best tools for locating fans. Search artists in similar style to you and reach out to their fans. Find radio stations that play your genre of music and reach out to their listeners. On a daily basis you should be looking for more fans. Set yourself a goal everyday. Pick one social network and focus on it first. Don’t take them all on at once. I feel Twitter is one of the easiest sites to seek out fans. Once you find a fan on Twitter you can then follow them to Facebook or other sites they may use. Hell, just ask them to follow you on Facebook. Don’t think the results will be big on a daily basis, you will not have a 1000 new fans by tomorrow morning no matter how many ads tell you otherwise. My efforts are seeing about 10-20% of the fans you seek out actually end up following you back. Make sure your profiles are active and exciting, nobody is going to follow a account that looks dead. You need to have a plan of where you are going to look for these fans… day in and day out and a plan on how you are going build a relationship with this new fans.

If you are looking for help on how to find fans on Twitter I encourage you to check out the webinar I hosted with Brian Thompson, How To Use Twitter to Promote Your Music.

If you would like discuss how I can assist you in growing your fan base on Twitter, contact me (me at mikebrandvold.com) and we can discuss your needs.

11 Responses to “Don’t Wait For New Fans To Find You, Seek Them Out”

1. Talicha J.
    January 4, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Great article. I have been doing this on reverbnation and went from being stuck in the 60’s for moths to being number three in my genre. For some reason I never thought to actually do the same thing on twitter. Thanks for the information!

• Michael Brandvold
      January 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Twitter is so easy to do searches, just takes time to follow everyone.

2. Henry Gaye
    January 5, 2012 at 1:11 am #

U’re right! It works. I reached number 1 in the whole of Germany in my genre by doing that on Reverbnation. It’s just like the saying: “heaven helps those who help themselves”. I wish all of us reach the goals we set.

3. Katherine
    January 5, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Thanks for the tip..

4. Phil Johnson
    January 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

I’m the opposite… I do it on Twitter, but never thought of doing it on ReverbNation. :)

Also, I’m using an app called Social Bro for my Twitter work these days and it’s very full featured. And free. Not connected with them at all. Just passing the word on a goodie. :)

I think the reason that a lot of artists don’t think to do this these days is the MySpace backlash. That site was so much about randomly adding people that it became frowned upon to proactively approach people. And Facebook really doesn’t lend itself to such things. I do like the idea of engaging new people in Twitter, then pulling them over to facebook. Better yet, pull them into your own email list. :)

One last thing. The other day an artist that I have no connection with sent me their video on YouTube. It wasn’t really targeted to me correctly, but I think that could be a powerful tool. The problem is I have no idea how to send a video to someone that you don’t have a connection with on there? Any idea?

5. Praverb
    January 28, 2012 at 5:06 am #

Twitter search makes it easier to find out what people are daying about you. I use Twitter search all the time to find out if people are talking about my music or my website.

Thank you for the wealth of information.

• Michael Brandvold
      January 28, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Twitter search is so powerful and easy, everyone needs to use it daily.

6. Stephanie of Wildfire Effect
    February 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

Thanks for this, it is true that if you don’t target specific groups of people that you KNOW will love what you do then they will miss out, lost to some degree in the 1000s of other great distractions. You do have to be pro-active and follow-up.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Don’t Wait For New Fans To Find You, Seek Them Out | The Adult News Wire - January 4, 2012

[...] profiles on all if not many of these sites. But what are you doing on those sites? Just … Continue reading → Related [...]